Absolut 2009

Registration Status: 15 / 28 places filled. (waiting list not available yet)


22.3.07

Testimonial 1 - Alicia Peh

Posted by A B S O L U T

My Absolut Experience

I had many fond memories of Absolut camp. What was most memorable was the night hike. I was part of the planning committee in Absolut Masquerade 2001 and was involved in the recces for the night hike. It was the only time anyone would get off at Fort Siloso at 10+pm (3 guys and gals). I remembered the weird and bewildered faces from some of the passengers on the monorail. I remembered walking from Siloso to Tanjong Beach. I remembered playing hike and seek with the rangers… I remembered all these so vividly.

The original aim of the night hike was to test the determination and perseverance of the campers. It was also to create stressful situations so that facilitators could identify the leaders and the followers. For Absolut Masquerade, the objectives were achieved. In fact, we gained more than we expected. From my own experience, the night hike bonded my group campers. They got to know each other better and they also encouraged each other and even encouraged me on. From the facilitator’s point of view, it was tiring both physically and mentally. Not only did we have to complete the hike, we could not tell them where the clues were; we also had to follow them even if they were on the wrong route. On top of that, we had to observe the group dynamics so that we could debrief them the next day.

Absolut was also a good training ground for me. I had to lead one of the major games even though I am more of a follower. I also had to get out of my comfort zone (with all my usual clique of friends) so as to bond the campers together. In my experience of Absolut camp, I learnt more about myself not solely through the personality test we took, but also through facilitation. I realized that my good observation skills and my ability to make friends had eased my job of facilitation. However, facilitation is an art and I also realized my inadequacy. Absolut has also allowed me to make more friends and helped me in getting to know some friends better. Though there is undeniably more fun in FOC (Freshmen Orientation Camp), Absolut camp is one unusual camp that I will always remember.

-Alicia Peh, Facilitator of Absolut Masquerade
Economics Major, Graduating Class of 03/04





0 comments: