Absolut 2009

Registration Status: 15 / 28 places filled. (waiting list not available yet)


14.4.07

Testimonial 4 - Koh Zhisheng

Posted by Gao Zi

The Chairperson's own Absolut Experience.

Things are picking up for us. Finally everything is starting to roll.
Thank you for all those who had signed up.
To all those who are still considering, you should!
take charge of your own time!

Myself.
I joined this camp as a camper during my first year in 2003.
I guess I was pretty much a confident character after stepping out of army. Because of the training I had, whether it was SWAPS's FOC, or that Absolut Camp, there were many things that I knew I was capable of achieving and winning. I ended that camp feeling rather disturbed by some of the activities. There was still some self-discovery, but I was pretty sure I didn't internalise much (I am admittedly stubborn).

I am one of those which Absolut Camp planted a seed in. When I lead the camp myself a year later, as Chairperson of Absolut Emerge 2004, I gained a rush of insights into unexplained dilemmas and complaints about the experience as a camper. I wasn't like other campers (who became my fellow organisers) whose self discovery occurred during the camp. I continued to be angry at some of the activities and I now know that at various parts of the camp, either I wasn't who I thought I was, or I really didn't know that I would be that competitive. I came to realise that my disturbance was a sign of a challenge to Zhisheng Version-22-years-old. After that was resolved, I felt I attained personal growth.

Besides being a convert of the camp, I am more open to experiences, and learning about life and differences has been great for me through the last few years. And as a learning point for people who might be like me, we probably do not realise that we build defences around who we are. We might have a bias to seek experiences that reinforce who we think we already are. Peeling that defence gives you a chance at advancing your understanding of who you could be. Peeling that defence first requires you to know that defences exist. This camp cannot promise that we will help you attain enlightenment, but we try. You have me, my whole committee, and the testimonials here to show you, we have a pretty good record.


-Koh Zhisheng Version-25-years-old,
Camper of Absolut-leeU 2003,
Chairperson of Absolut Emerge 2004,
Chairperson of Absolut Camp 2007,
Psychology Major, Current Graduating Class of 06/07

0 comments: